Monday, April 2, 2012

Working With Metals


Since this year has been my first year in HTHS arts, everything we have done so far has been a whole new experience to me! The metal project was one of my most enjoyable projects this year. I have never worked with metals in my whole life, I've seen my dad work with copper and welding tools while fixing the plumbing systems and I never knew it could be so simple. To begin, we started creating blueprints; each color represented a specific metal (gold, copper and silver). We would then trace our design onto the metal; next we used handsaw to cut out the shapes. Before we begun using the handsaws, we were reminded that the saw blades will break and will need to be changed often during the class period. Many of us broke saw blades right after we were given directions and this taught us to be patient and relax while cutting the metals. Patience, I believe patience has a huge role in the arts, without patience in the long run the end results may not be the way you wanted them to be! I really liked using the handsaw, especially the "Wood Shop" atmosphere :) This project made me realize that the most beautiful pieces of work are very simple.